Peninsula Worklink, a program of the Peninsula Council for Workforce Development and other partner agencies, offers a comprehensive range of services to address the workforce needs of both job seekers and businesses. Services provided through Peninsula Worklink are funded through the U.S. Department of Labor so there’s never a charge, although eligibility may apply for certain services. Its vast network of resources and workforce experts makes it a truly valuable and comprehensive resource for residents and businesses.
Peninsula Worklink provides area residents and businesses with a “One-Stop” career resource center that serves as an integrated full service clearinghouse designed specifically to address the mutual needs of both job seekers and businesses. Our job is to address the competitive workforce needs of these two customer groups through the provision of individually tailored career and training solutions. If successful, everyone wins, both jobseekers and businesses.
Coordinated in partnership with the Virginia Employment Commission, Thomas Nelson Community College, New Horizons Regional Education Center and Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services, Peninsula Worklink’s One-Stop Career Center is conveniently located in the geographic center of the Peninsula.
What is a Peninsula Worklink One-Stop Career Center?
One-Stop Centers, also known as American Job Centers, were developed to bring together a broad array of employment and training services designed to address the needs of both job seekers and businesses. One-Stop Centers are part of Virginia’s Workforce Network and are a critical component of the federally funded Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA). At the heart of the one-stop approach are five over-arching principles:
- Universal Access: Any individual should be able to go into a One-Stop and access a wide range of basic career services that can assist them with reaching their employment and career needs.
- Streamlining Services: Employment and training programs for all people should be brought together and be easily accessible via One-Stop Centers.
- Increased Accountability: The One-Stop system is evaluated based on measured outcomes and customer satisfaction.
- Empowering Individuals: Customers benefit from having access to a wide array of tools, resources, and information about services in order to make informed choices about their employment options and career needs.
- State and Local Flexibility: Local One-Stop systems are designed to address the needs of their local community.
Who is Eligible to Receive Services?
Both employers and job seekers are primary customers of the Peninsula Worklink. This includes businesses and industries, students, individuals with disabilities, Veterans, TANF recipients, unemployed, underemployed and employed individuals. Everyone can access the services of Peninsula Worklink…free of charge.
What Services are available for Job Seekers through the One-Stop Career Center?
For job seekers, there are three types of services available through the One-Stop system: Basic Career Services, Individualized Career Services and Training. The first, Basic Career Services, offers self-directed and informational type resources (e.g., access to workshops, registration into the Virginia Workforce Connection, use of Career Resource Center materials, referrals to supportive services or partner agencies).
Access to more individualized and staff-assisted career services, including training, is also available for eligible participants needing additional employment assistance.
Basic Career Services:
- intake and orientation
- work skills exploration
- resource library which includes access to computers, telephones, facsimile and copy machines
- searches for jobs and training
- access to job banks or listings of available jobs
- internet access
- resume development
- job search skills training
- networking skills workshops
- interview techniques workshops
- referral to an employer with current job openings
- customer satisfaction follow-up
- determination of eligibility for additional services
Individualized Career Services:
- comprehensive assessments of skills and service needs
- development of an individual employment and career plan
- customized screening and assessment
- reference/background checks
- intensive career counseling
- in-depth interviewing skills development
- computer workshops
- one-on-one assistance with updating your resume, cover letters and thank you letters
- case management
- occupational skills training, including training for nontraditional employment
- on-the-job training
- incumbent worker training (as authorized by the Board)
- programs that combine workplace training with related instruction, which may include cooperative education programs
- training programs operated by the private sector
- skill upgrading and retraining
- entrepreneurial training
- transitional jobs
- job readiness training provided in combination with other training services such as occupational skills training
- adult education and literacy activities including activities of English language acquisition and integrated education and training programs, provided concurrently or in combination with other training services and
- customized training conducted with a commitment by an employer or group of employees to employ an individual upon successful completion of the training.
What Services are available for Businesses?
Serving the needs of employers is a principle focus under WIOA for One-Stop Centers, as employers are primary customers with the continuing need of finding and hiring good candidates.
- onsite recruitment and placement assistance for employers
- on-the-job (OJT) training subsidies
- federal bonding program
- customized occupational skills training
- incumbent worker training
- work opportunity tax credit program
- rapid response services
- transitional work experience program
- information on business start-up, retention and expansion services
- access to labor market information
- workplace accommodations for persons with disabilities
Watch video clip – A One-Stop Shop for Better Jobs – click here